"Smart card mute" means that the decoder can't read the sim card. Do the following steps below to rectify problem.
1. Pull out smart card from the decoder. (Smart card is located on the right hand side of the decoder front panel.)
2. Wipe the golden chip on the card with a piece of dry cloth. Make sure that chip is not damaged.
3. Re-insert card and check on the message again.
4. if problem persist, try steps 2&3 twice or 3 times and check.
5. If problem still persist, the card is damaged and needs to be replaced. Take your decoder and card to the nearest Digicel outlet for assistance.